Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by mattnz
KHS Flite 100 54cm ($650)
Couldn't tell the difference from the Track

- Giant Bowery '72 54cm ($650)
the curved drop handlebar was almost unbearable

All the bikes I've found have drop bars, which I'm not a huge fan of — they feel awkward — is this something that I would adjust to over time, or for riding around the city (to and from work, errands) are they really only useful for long distance or track biking?

My height is 5'10" and was told that I should be on a 54 (or near) frame but so far the only bike I've really enjoyed was the Masi 56cm frame is it unusual for someone my height to feel a 54cm frame is too small? Perhaps my old bike was too large and I had just gotten used to oversized frame?

Does anyone know when Giant will start selling their new line of 2011 bikes (they are selling a 2011 Bowery in Canada already http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-ca/...ry/8071/45717/).

So far my pick has been the Langster, but I feel I would want to swap the crank and get a different handlebar which is going to add $$ to the starting price.

If anyone has alternative suggestions for a bike I'd love to hear it. My preferences are:
- single speed (nothing wrong with coasting and brakes are good but a hub that allows experimenting with fixed gear would be a positive too)
- prefer upright riding position/flat handlebar, or at least drop bars that have a flat area (not curved like the Bowery '72)
- price ~$600

Things that I loved with my ex-Bowery
- it was so light, I could casually lift it up with one hand and easy to quickly carry up steps in my apartment or over bridges.
- it felt fast, was easy to safely (quickly) overtake other cyclists if I was in a hurry
- it felt nimble, it was easy fast to maneuver and zip between traffic jams on the way home.

Many thanks from a new rider
It's very easy to change a set of bars, sounds like you liked the Bowery you had, so just get the 72 and swap the track drops with a set of flat bars or normal road drops. Or get the KHS and swap the bars. I would avoid the fuji's there are better offerings.