View Single Post
Old 06-26-11, 07:52 PM
johnMATX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mechBgon
Haha, I know a guy who thought his Superfly 100 was the last word in XC FS bikes. Then he tried a teammate's Top Fuel

I know another guy with a SF 100 Elite who is convinced I'm some super athelete because he can't keep up with me, despite being a very well-trained racer himself. Meanwhile, I race once a week and commute 3 miles a day, that's all the training I have time for right now. I told him hey, if you were on a World-Cup-style 26" hardtail, you'd surprise yourself bro. It's disgustingly efficient. I'll get him to ride it someday and he'll realize what he's been missing.

I understand that the big bike makers would like to standardize on one adult-bike wheel size for lower manufacturing costs, but I really am not here to serve their interests.
I get what your saying, I have 2 26 and 2 29ers, but I don't think its a given that if he switched to a "World-Cup-Style 26" he would have some sort of revelation and realize that he was missing all that much if anything at all and you would probably still be faster than him. If there was not a benefit for a lot of people, the 29ers would not have taken off as well as they have. A lot of pro riders have switched to 29er's and are winning they swear by them, a lot have stayed with 26s and are winning and swear by them. Fast guy and gals are fast, usually fast on anything they ride. Personally I am faster on my 29 than my 26, not a lot but checking my lap times at some different courses with different terrains, proved it, day in day put my fastest times on the 29 HT. I will be the first to admit maybe some of it is mental, I am more confident because of the feel of the 29er, I just like the feel.... up hill, down hill, flats, tight woods, rocks, but I am not going to say they are for everyone. If I get beat by a guy ( or gal...yea I will admit it..Got some fast ladies in the ATX ) or I beat them ( given we are both on quality bikes ), I am fairly sure its because its the rider not the bike. The stores may well move over to 29ers in that entry level bike as the news is saying. But in the mid range and upper end, I bet you will always have a selection, at least I hope so. There is room on the trail and in my garage for both.