View Single Post
Old 06-30-11, 08:27 AM
atbman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MillieKY
See... I'm not sure. Does anyone ever not get over being a little nervous? I like that it means I don't have to ride teh same 12mile bike path over and over... but CARS scare me.
You ay not get this impression from this (and other) sites, but the vast majority of drivers are reasonable. Even, I suspect, in the USA.

I know that my UK experience is absolutely relevant, but you will find that your ability to "read" traffic and drivers' intentions will improve. Try and observe other road users' behaviour and work out why they do certain things which may make you nervous/scared/aaaarrrggghhh(!) and you'll begin to spot the danger signs. I invite other forumers to add their ideas:

1. No eye contact when a driver is turning into/out of a side road -s/he ain't seen you
2. Driver's speed being variable - looking for parking space/address/on cellphone/under the influence
3. Low sun in winter - drivers will assume that the road ahead is clear even tho' they can't see a thing
4. Approaching section where the road narrows because of street furniture/road works - drivers will/may do their damndest to get past you before the obstacle and cut you up
5. Approaching lights at red - see (4) above
6. Narrowish road and driver several cars back coming the opposite way keeps putting his nose out - he'l be so busy looking to get past the cars in front of him that you won't register on what passes for his radar
7. Driver slowing down in city, but not signalling - he'll probably pull in to park/turn without using his indicator
8. Rain - drivers not taking extra care/having reduced visiblility, esp. side windows
9. Pedestrians/drivers on their mobiles regardless of speed changes - you think pedestrians can't be dangerous while on the phone? One national UK newspaper reported that 35,000 pedestrians received hospital treatment after walking into street furniture while on the phone last year
10. Please feel free to add any other signs, folks