View Single Post
Old 07-02-11, 12:45 PM
Vince Canepa

Bikes: 1978 Jack Taylor "Tour of Britain", 2010 Cannondale CAAD9-4, 2013, Cannondale Supersix Evo Red Racing, 1969 Jack Taylor Ladies "Tourist" (wife's), 2010 Specialized Dolce Sport (wife's)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Check this site (click on the year to see photos):

http://www.blackbirdsf.org/taylor/serials.html

#1462 would be from 1949; #7462 would be from 1978 (the same year my Tour of Britain was built). Also, Jack Taylor serial numbers are almost always on the left rear dropout, not the bottom bracket (I say almost always because you never know until you have seen them all).

My guess is that it is not a Jack Taylor. My wife's Tourist (#5935 from 1969) is filet brazed and it is flawless; it actually looks much better than the filet welding on my CAAD9 - and those were ground to a high standard. Also, hers has several small brackets, etc. and while you can tell they were made by hand from raw stock, they are beautifully done and beautifully attached. The same applies to the eyelets and cable stops on my Tour of Britain - absolutely beautiful workmanship. And I can't speak for the earliest frames, but most had eyelets attached to the dropouts by the '60s.

One other possibility is that it was a track bike than someone else added various bits to. The fork crown looks like one the Taylors used on track bikes. But even the track bikes I have seen have all had the serial number on the dropout.

Ultimately what counts is if you are happy with the frame.