Old 07-02-11, 01:18 PM
khatfull
FBoD Member at Large

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
So what to do with a free bike?

On my way back from the big box store to get fertilizer I pass through a neighborhood looking for garage sales. Strikeouts there but then I come across a bike and a "Free Bike". Well... (sorry for the crappy cell pic)

A pink mixte. Open Road. Yay. Then I look a tad closer. 4130 frame:

Shimano 6-speed friction, aluminum bars, aluminum rims. The saddle and grips both say Schwinn approved so I don't think they're original. Lee Chi aluminum calipers, brake levers are aluminum. Sakae crank and rings. Hmmm. Pick it up and it's honestly much lighter than I thought!

It needs tires, cables, brake pads, maybe not even housings, they don't look too bad. A new saddle (IHMO) and the grips are very clunky.

Paint is actually in very awesome condition. I could have this frame looking like new. All the decals are on the surface so I suppose I could remove them and stealth it out a tad.

Wheels are just about true, need a touch up...hubs feel real good even for no-name.

I suppose I'll see if my 14yo daughter wants this to ride to school on instead of her gas pipe Takara. Rear rack and a basket and it would make a good school bike for her.

If not I suppose I'll clean it up, replace the few things, and flop it out on local CL. Pink mixte in this town should be popular.

My first free side-of-the-road bike and it's a mixte! Haha!

How'd I do?