troutbreath

Bikes: Trek 4300, Cannondale Synapse 6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm baaaaccckkkk . . . .

Hey!

I used to post on here pretty often. About 4 years ago, I picked up biking as a way to exercise, and hopefully lose a few pounds. With 40 rapidly approaching, I set up a pair of goals for myself:
> Get under 200 lbs (I was nearly 240 when I set this objective).
> Be able to bike 40 miles by the time I turned 40.

Well, I was able to do those. I felt great! I worked in a long ride of 57 miles, and got my weight down to about 195 for a while.

For a while . . .

I didn't completely quit riding, but I certainly was not pursuing 100 mile weeks any longer. The weight came back. With work stress and more time on the sofa instead of the saddle, I eventually got all the way back up over 240.

This year I decided to change that. I decided not to make firm goals for myself. For some reason, I think that once I "checked that box" it was easier to stop doing what got me to that point. I just decided I was going to try to lose some weight, and I was going to ride more. If I don't get in 100 miles, I don't sweat it (and I haven't gotten to 100 yet). If I don't lose a bunch of weight, that's OK, too.

It's working. I'm down about 25 pounds so far since February. And, I got in my longest ride of the year today at 51 miles. I've been a little embarrassed about coming back -- not exactly the model one should emulate. But, I got a lot of support here before, so I thought I'd pop in and say, "hi." This is a good board for info and inspiration.