Old 07-02-11, 07:00 PM
dahut
Ridin' South Cackalacky

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by limonandrey
I have a dream, that one day... I'll commute to work..
I have a 10 mile commute on the short run in. On the way home I stretch it to 15-20 miles most days. Can you do it? Yes. Multi-modal commuting also eases things. But let's consider the full 22-mile ride, eh?

Is it practical? Hey, what does your wife know?? Yes, it is practical. It wont be simple, however. It requires preparation and determination. The seasons change, the needs of the cycling Commuter will come to dominate, and so on. But it can be done.

Above all, you will have to mean it. There is a saying among road cyclists - "HTFU."
If you don't know, it means, "Harden The F*ck Up."
It sounds harsh I know, but that is intentional. You cannot commute 22 miles on anything less than full blown commitment. I have these letters, "H-T-F-U," stenciled on my head stem as a reminder.

- I have to get to work fast, not carrying anything. What is your average speed in Sub-urban and Urban setting?
Average speed is 12-14 mi/hr. I ride a lot of hills; there are few flat runs on my route. Where the land IS flat, I can sustain a comfortable 17 mi/hr.
How are you going to go to ride 22 miles to work without carrying anything?
No work clothes?
No lunch?
No water?
No flat repair/chain repair tools and parts?

- I might have to jump a few curbs
Stay off sidewalks, MUP's and other structured surfaces. These places spell doom for the cyclist. Stay on the road and take the lane.

- Does not cost a fortune, probably used.

Do your research before buying. Since you are riding to work with a purpose, I recommend what I call a 'Cafe Commuter' - a converted road bike. I got like new one off Craigslist for $375. It is a Gavin Acele, a generic aluminum/carbon fork, Asian frame that I have adapted.

I use the widest rear tire I can fit, 700 x 28/30, w/ 700 x 23C in front.
I currently have Continental UltraSports in back, but will be going to randonneur/touring tires, soon. In the front, I run zippy sport/training rubber.
This mix is a compromise between speed, durability and handling. If I was running 22 miles, I might go 28's all around.

I use a seat post rack and a triangle frame bag.
These are light and easy going... you do'nt even know they are there.
You will end up carrying something - take my word for it. 22 miles is a long way and flat tires suck ass. You'll at least need a repair kit.

I retained the drop handle bars
I have some country road stretches and I use them, or ride the hoods - a lot. Long commutes are bound to have a mix of riding conditions. I'd want the drop bars.

For visibility I use:
Rear view mirror,
Rear blinkies galore
Re-chargeable CREE diode flashlight as head light.
Safety orange vest
Helmet is adorned with safety orange patches.

Safety is mostly about being seen as a cyclist on the road - and refraining from doing stupid things like jumping curbs.

Have a proper fitting saddle
DO NOT SKIMP ON THE SADDLE. Get one properly fit for you. You want to be comfortable in the saddle, if you are going to go the distance.

I carry TWO water bottles and some granola bars.
Hydration and fuel are critical to the engine that is YOU.
22 miles is longer than you think and "bonking" (running out of steam) occurs at about the one hour mark. Eat. Drink.

My bike carries all Shimano 105 kit.
This is the lowest grade of component fit I would consider for long term use, like commuting. Whatever you get for a bike, be prepared to upgrade to this level of running gear as minimum.

Seriously consider fenders
If you plan to ride in all weather, you will come to love them. You don't have to have them to start, but get a bike that can mount them or know how to add them. If you turn "hard core," they are gonna come in handy.