Old 07-03-11, 12:12 PM
borobike
Dept. store bike bandit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by irclean
Let the (Denali) haters hate! This is the best post on this whole thread... congratulations, borobike!
Thanks irclean, it feels great!

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Seems like a lot of Denali users put a good $100+ into their bikes in short order. This makes me think that a $300 bikesdirect offering would be a better deal for a lot of folks that are assembling their own Denalis.

Not tryin' to hate. Just sayin'.
Interesting, I never knew BD had $300 bikes. Looking at one now, I see that they are 14 speed stem shift road bikes just like mine. Neat.

But here's something you might not know:

Those $300 BD bikes have, among other things, a Shimano A050 front and rear derailleur. This is sub-Sora level. Something else interesting? That's the exact same rear derailleur that came on my Denali from Wal-Mart for $157! Mine is a different color than the one presented on the $300 BD bikes, but mechanically they are identical. Remember that I made the Denali into a Sora/Dura-Ace/Suntour equipped bike for less than $250 including the original purchase price, not including extras like the saddle and chain due to my own mistake.

BD bike a great deal? Sure is if you don't like working on stuff, but like monsterpile and johnj2803 mentioned if you enjoy working on your own stuff (which I certainly do) you can still turn the Denali into whatever you want and come out ahead if you shop smartly.

Here's a few pics from Saturday's group ride:

All you can see is my butt and the tail end of the bike in that one.

I'm the guy in the yellow shirt on the bridge.

Well, you can probably figure out where I am there.