View Single Post
Old 07-03-11, 02:11 PM
Moozh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I assumed there was some reason why the OP was asking; a surprise present perhaps? But 'Alphav' is right, if at all reasonable and works with your plan have him decide. If not find a way to talk to him about what type of bicycling he favors, check out the kind of bike his friends have and if he likes what they ride. Alas, a tribe of teens tends to ride the same kind of steed..you dont see a horde of 12 bmx'ers and 1-road cyclist hanging at the 7-11 passing about the cigarillos and sippin on the bottle of mad dog.

Going to a LBS does not necessarily find you the right bike, depending on what kind of bike he likes your default LBS might not carry it. If possible figure out the bike type he likes then find the shop that sells it, else you are subject to what the shop you are in at the time has on the floor and their persuasive sales crew that gives you a sensible adult argument as to why 'specialized' is better than 'Eastern' yet that same adult argument holds no credibility for a 16-yr old that simply knows a Eastern NightTrain in Black NOT purple with the argyle fork is "sick". At that age, brand, color and cred can be very, very important.

I hated that my mother picked out a couple of my bikes when I was a young-buck, she ALWAYS got it wrong and I HATED the bikes she chose...woman had no sense on what a 12 year old needs and her efforts were not appreciated by my self-centered...erm..self..

If possible let him pick it out, hopefully he has a simple eye and chooses something cheap and easy else...lookout!