Old 07-03-11, 08:53 PM
Dwane

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Problems with installation of Shimano FD-4503 Front Derailleur

I just purchased a used Diamondback Expert 9-speed with a Shimano Tiagra Flight Deck set up. I think I did okay for $200, which included the shoes and helmet. This is my first road bike. I did a tear down on it, cleaned, decreased and polished all of the components and reassembled the bike. The only piece that needed to be replaced was a front derailleur. I went to the LBS and purchased a direct replacement, a Shimano FD-4503. I can't seem to get it to go into the to chainring.

After reading the enclosed instructions, searching this site, watching You-Tube videos, visiting Park Tools Website an Shimano's webiste, I have:

1. Installed the front derailleur, setting the gear teeth hight using the attached pro-set gauge.
2. With the chain on the largest sprocket in the rear, set the clearance on the FD between the chain guard and the chain on the smallest chainring.
3. With the shifter in the lowest chainring setting (tension released by depressing the black shifter lever several times), reattached the shifter cable.
4. Expecting to set the outer limit on the largest chainring, shifted the silver/grey shifter once to get it into the center chainring, and then a second time. Unfortunately, it did not shift into the largest chainring. I have tried to use the upper limit screw but that doesn't help.

Any thoughts?

Dwane