Old 07-06-11, 09:19 AM
laserfj
Reasonably Slow...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Do I have enough time to prepare?

I need some advice. I am fairly new to cycling, and I was wondering if it a reasonable expectation that I will be able to ride a century later this year.

Background:
I have cycled in the past, but nothing too serious or long-distancy, just a few rides here and there. I just started up again a couple weeks ago.

Fitness level:
I am 25 years old. My general fitness level is average, or better than average. I can currently do a 30 mile ride at an easy pace without being too tired afterwards. I plan to do 35 miles this weekend for my "long ride."

Time constraints:
Due to my work and other sports commitments, I can ride (on average) 3.5 days a week (3 days every week, and an additional day every other week). I can do a long ride once per week.

The question:
There are a couple centuries coming up late this fall around where I live. One is at the end of September, one is at the end of October.

I thought these might be fun to do, and also would be a goal that I can work towards. Simple math shows me that if I do a 35 mile ride this week, and increase the length of my long ride by 10% each week, I could be doing a 75 mile ride by middle September.

Would it be a reasonable goal to do be able to do these, or would that be pushing it too fast too soon? My goal isn't to go fast or try to be competitive, just to finish and enjoy it. I don't want to burn out with training, but at the same time, I want to push myself a bit.

Thanks in advance for the advice.