View Single Post
Old 07-06-11, 11:33 AM
Geeeyejo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lighto
Is your 11T freewheel the "dnp epoch" (aka "long yih")?

I was looking at that freewheel, and almost bought it, but the ebay vendor wasn't being responsive, so I put it on hold. That gave me some time to do more research on it, and there seems to be quite a few people complaining about the quality and longevity of the freewheel.

Unfortunately, this appears to be the only 11t freewheel currently available on the market.

What are your initial thoughts about the shifting and coasting of the unit?
Yes it is a "long yih" - upon initial inspection, I observed some irregularities in the machining of the gear teeth - but it appears to shift and coast fine - at least for now!
It does seems that the 6 speed shifter is not exactly matched to the 7 speed freewheel - makes sense really as I would not expect the dentents in the shifter to exactly line up with the larger freewheel. I do have it adjusted however so it is functional enough - just doesn't hit the lowest (and useless IMHO) gear.
If I develop problems, I will likely put back on the original Shimano freewheel and go the larger (and more expensive) chainring/crank/bottom bracket replacement route. Another member did this on his Tokyo and it looks pretty sweet.