View Single Post
Old 07-06-11, 01:54 PM
scroca
commuter and barbarian

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I got buzzed last week during one of my morning commutes. The guy turned left just a little bit after, onto a dead end street, so I decided to follow him. I literally had to wait for him to turn, that's how close he was to turning when he buzzed me. He stopped to mail a letter requiring him to exit his vehicle. When I pulled up along side, I asked him if he could give me more room when he passed. I made of point of being calm and polite.

He was clearly agitated, and told me that he can't cross the double yellow line. I replied, "C'mon man, you have to use some common sense". He had only to wait for 2 oncoming cars to have nearly the whole 2 lane roadway.

He then insisted that it is against the law to cross the doulbe yellow line, to which I replied, "There is no law that says you have to pass".

Then he told me that bikes shouldn't be on the road, that we aren't licensed. Ironically, he had just passed a Share the Road sign, complete with a picture of a bicycle. I told him that I was legally entitled to the road.

At some point I said, "You just don't give a damn about a person's safety, do you?". He insisted that no, he didn't give a damn. He actually repeated it, so I know I didn't misunderstand him.

All along this conversation got more and more heated, until we ended up just calling each other dumb ass.

So, I don't know what to tell you. Even if you get a chance to talk to some drivers, their steadfast ignorance is impenetrable with any common sense or citing of law.