View Single Post
Old 07-09-11, 01:56 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Commando303
Just wrap it around the seat-post as you have been, else tie it around a solid part of the frame where it won't interfere with anything. If you're worried about marring the part of the bike, cover the area in a piece of bubble-wrap.

Personally, I think I'd go with sticking it on the rack and — as you say you don't like the weight back there when moving the bicycle over stairs — just remove it before traversing any steps (unless you happen to be going up/down them very frequently).

My recommendation is that you not wrap the chain around any part of your own body. If you're in an accident or you otherwise fall (and never think you're so invincible it couldn't happen), you'll possibly find yourself crashing down onto the rigid, oddly shaped, and likely quite-painful metal links.
Trust me that can even happen with a U-Bolt stored in a removable top bag. My shoes were wet I slipped fell, and landed right on my top bag that I had removed and was carrying. NOT very pleasant to say the least.