Old 07-10-11, 02:57 PM
sstorkel

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Silas XIV
Cheers for the reply Storkel! I've take a look at the Tiagra and it's a bit more expensive, but still within my budget. I'm 295, and assuming I'll need some handcrafted wheels to support my weight! Do you suggest a 32 or 36 spoke rim?
The specs don't say what sort of wheels come stock with the Synapse, but the picture makes it look like they have quite a few spokes. I'd give the stock wheels a try before you rush off to spend more money on custom wheels that you may not need. Before taking delivery of the bike, suggest to the shop you're buying from that they give the wheels a thorough inspection including checking the tension on every spoke. Let them know that you'll be back to have the wheels repaired under warranty if there are any issues.

If you have problems, it will most likely be with the rear wheel. Often, rebuilding the wheel with better-quality spokes will cure the problem and be much less expensive that buying a new wheelset.