Old 07-10-11, 05:59 PM
mjwithtwins

Bikes: 2011 Trek Utopia, 1999 Klein Quantum

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by no1mad
I'm by no means a roadie, but I'm aware that you don't have to kit up to ride one. A stem swap will allow you to get a bit more upright and in a bit more relaxed position that you're used to on the hybrid. A saddle swap takes care of the comfort there. You don't need eggbeaters or other clipless specific pedals. You can use platforms on a road bike...
This.

My husband only rides a carbon road bike except when pulling our son's trailer. He has big BMX style platforms on his roadie that he usually rides with crocs and half the time he doesn't put on bike clothes but he can still easily jump on it and ride 30-50 miles with very little effort. He has it set up in s more upright position with a higher stem because he has lower back issues.

I on the other hand have the same speed play frog pedals on both my hybrid and my road bike and I always put on bike shorts and at least a technical running t-shirt if not a jersey when I ride my roadie but I will sometimes just jump on my hybrid with bike shoes and whatever else I am wearing at the time to do a quick neighborhood ride.

I have been riding my road bike every weekend with the bike club for about a month now. At first I was tentative and felt uncomfortable on my road bike after such a long break from it but with some adjustments I am very comfortable on it now. My weekly by-myself or with a friend rides are all done on my hybrid. I prefer the hybrid for shorter rides because I just feel more carefree on it and I don't feel the need to keep up with anyone but when I am in a group I want my road bike. They each have their place.