View Single Post
Old 07-11-11, 10:12 AM
MK313

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an FX 7.5, it's a decent bike for the money. The differences between the FX line are, generally better components/lighter frame as you go up in numbers. the 7.3 or 7.5 would both be fine bikes. I would skip the disc version (if it were me). The brakes are a bit 'soft' on the 7.5, but a pair of Kool Stop brake pads (approx $25 front & rear) will give you ample stopping power, even with the heavy load.

I like a non-suspension bike for commuting. I'm one who feels that the suspension robs energy. I've only ridden my commute on a suspension bike a couple of times (when my other bikes are out of commission) so I may not be the best judge there.

I really think that you may be better off focusing on reducing your load, if possible. If I had $1k to spend (assuming that's your budget based on the prices of the FX bikes), I'd focus on lightening the load somewhat rather than getting a new bike. Are there lighter replacements for the gear you need to carry (possibly electronic copies of your books/ a flash drive or ipad instead of a laptop/ leaving shoes at school/ carrying less clothes/ possibly buying lighter accessories for the bike (if there are any particular heavy ones)). Also, are there any components that you can remove from the bike (like if you have front & rear racks, but don't use the front or anything like that). I really think that your load is what is slowing you down. At 170 pounds, with a 46 pound bike & 40 pounds of gear, you're carrying almost an extra 50% of your body weight up that hill.

The other option is to buy a bike just like your friends (as long as it's in the budget). If you can make it up the hill with that one, then that would be worth exploring.

not familiar with the Neko, so I can't speak to that, but the FX series should result in a slight speed increase versus the 7100, just looking at the bikes. The 7100 appears to be more of a comfortable bike compared to the FX series (The bars are up higher, it has seatpost & front fork shocks, etc.). more comfort usually equals slower performance. Do you have a friend who has a flat bar road bike that you can borrow to try the commute a time or two. The FX bikes are great, but by no means unique. Every manufacturer has a flat bar road bike & they are all RELATIVELY similar. If you like one, the riding position/comfort level will be similar on an FX 7.3/7.5.

Last edited by MK313; 07-11-11 at 10:15 AM. Reason: clarity