Old 07-13-11, 11:16 AM
mcafiero
Italian Stallion

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale Supersix; Dolan Df3; 1980's GIOS Pista;

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There is one other thing I didn't mention - about a year and a half ago I had a severe malfunction with my immune system where my immune system went berzerk and started attacking my platelets, which are the component of your blood that keeps you from bleeding to death. I could have bumped my knee and died from internal bleeding. I was in the hospital for almost 10 days getting CAT scans, platelet transfusions, living on the oncology floor with dying people. At first my symptoms matched Leukemia, so you can imagine that was REALLY scary. Turned out to be something else and after a round of treatment, I beat the odds (20% chance) and recovered (well, I'm in a "remission"... this COULD come back). Anyway, I was really scared, thought I was going to die at that hospital.

I feel like I have a 2nd chance and I have a new realization of how life could end at any time. I am lucky that I can understand this. I think everyone needs a good scare. So given that I don't know if this could come back and haunt me, I am more focused on health and fitness (to do what I can to keep it from coming back) and more importantly, I want to kick ass and have fun while I'm here on earth. Whether it be 1 year or 60 more! I'm 35 now and in the best shape of my life. Just having fun with my healthy body. Track racing fits the bill perfectly.