Old 07-13-11, 12:12 PM
Altair 4

Bikes: 2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1989 Cannondale SR500 Black Lightning, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 157 Posts
Frankly, I didn't mind getting wet. For the amount of time spent out in the rain, I don't know that any cape would have been sufficient to stay dry. It was a solid rain for five hours on one day! It was warm enough and I was throwing off enough heat not to mind the rain on me. Fenders, on the other hand, would have been very helpful.

When I stopped for lunch, the bike was out in the worst part of the rain, and the grit just wasn't washing off at all, to my surprise. I thought at least the small heaps on the FD would rinse away but, alas, no.

I read the link for the Finish line product from above - so here's the scenario: it's raining, the chain is gritty and wet. I can't get the chain either cleaned or dry on the trail. So, do I just let it go until I can clean it, degrease it and relube on the next dry day? Geez, every gearshift made new noises and the first couple of revolutions of the chain felt like the drivetrain was made of rocks. All I'm thinking is, "Gawd, I'm killing this bike!" I had no where to leave the bike out of the weather or at least out of humidity.

Anyway, I'm going to work on it this weekend to get things cleaned up, wash all the grit off, and get the chain lubed well, if not actually replaced.

PS: The set of Ortlieb rear classic rollers were awesome! Not a sign of moisture in the bags - even my small roll of toilet paper was perfectly dry. I saw signs of "waterproof pannier envy" from others on the trail. I got these from Best Buys before their sale imploded. What a deal at 50% off list! Not the easiest to find stuff in them (kinda like looking in my wife's purse, where whatever you want has sunk to the bottom), but the contents sure stay dry! Two thumbs up!!