Old 07-13-11, 08:15 PM
dsprehe89

Bikes: 2013 Stumpjumper HT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WNG
GTs are well spec-ed and built mtbs and a few road models, with high collector appeal. They were originally made in the USA, at least the high end models were. They were at one time the top selling mtb, with numerous pros riding them. The owner was a flamboyant character. He managed to take his company public. He had an untimely death when he was on his way to a race GT was sponsoring. He had a head-on crash on his motorcycle with a pick up truck. He was basically the driving force and heart of GT. Following his death, the board dumped their holdings of the company. The Taiwanese scooped it up.
The 'after death' bikes are still nice, but not as desirable as the original line when the founder was alive.

It's easy to differentiate a GT bike by its Triple Triangle frame. It's also easy to get all caught up into GT fever and buy the 'wrong' model. The post death low end offerings are high-ten steel slugs.
The old ones pop up now and then. If they are in good shape, and that's rare, don't hesitate to grab them. They won't last, seems a lot of people want them.

I just picked up a 96 Karakoram with Rock Shox Quadra fork today. I missed out on a sweet one for $65 a few months ago. Unfortunately, the CL pic looked deceiving, as it was a mess in person. I talked him down to $20. Once home, disappointment set in...the seat post is seized, the drop out is twisted. I managed to straighten the dropout somewhat and will have to verify alignment before repaint begins. But I can only hope the PB blaster works its magic on the post. These Karakorams are scarce, so it's worth my effort to salvage.

If you want a GT, do seek out one in good condition if you're not ready and equipped to do some serious work on one.
When did the original owner die? I'm just curious cause I own an older Dyno from back when they were around and owned by GT and just curious if it was built back when he was alive and if it is considered a "desired bike". I'm not interested in getting rid of it, just curious of how much it might be worth. It is a mid to late 90's Dyno Zone BMX bike.