Old 07-13-11, 09:26 PM
ed 

Bikes: Hecklah

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here's pics I snapped tonight...

Got the extra firm spring overnighted and installed. Works perfectly...

Only thing I can't deal with is the handlebar. I've been rolling with an Easton EA70 HiRise since 2006. I just can't get used to a low rise bar. I found a Syncros Bulk DH HiRise bar at Bikewagon for $26!! Great buy! So I guess I'm breaking my own rule here with the bar, but the thing has to fit me at least.

(generic pic of the bar...)

Other than that, the bike is really plush for a 4-banger. The 2:1 ratio is pretty PIMP. Still getting used to a slightly shorter cockpit. Also getting comfy with the shorter seat tube. It's a size 18"...but the seat tube is really only 15-15.5".

I was worried that the rear tri was just an XLT tri that was adapted to the frame, but it's definitely a whole lot beefier than my XLT was. I'm impressed with the size of the tubes, linkage, and especially the pivot bearings. The rocker bearings are the same size as sk8 bearings, I believe. Wicked bigger than the XLT.

Hayes brakes feel really good. It's a bit trickier to get a 7 & 8" rotor to keep from making that "SHIIIIIIIING" noise when it doinks the pads. The rotors also seem a bit easier to bend due to the larger size. I've got the same rotors on the Komodo, but they're 6"f and 5"r.

Had to true up the front wheel a bit, but other than that...everything seems kosher.

Bunnyhopping a dually is coming back to me quick. I preload the suspension to get a little more pop with a dually than I usually do on a hardtail. Should be fun for urban stuff.

Dig it so far.

Last edited by ed; 07-13-11 at 09:34 PM.