Surrealdeal
a.k.a., Point Five Dude

Bikes: 1987 Trek Elance 400 T

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mkadam68
Let me encourage you, 28-miles each way is certainly a doable commute. My commute is just about 46-miles round trip. Takes me about 80-mins in the morning (including lights), and 105-mins in the evening (by car, it's about 30-mins each way). If I can do it, anyone can.

As green427 said, make sure you're ready for the distance. What got me when I first started was that distance 4 days in a row and the early waking pattern. Now I'm used to it. You will be too.
+1!

I commute 41 miles round trip, as many days of the week as my home schedule will allow. I cover my route in somewhere between 75 - 90 minutes, on average.

A morning shower & baby wipes once you get there are a must. Even if you weren't to get all sweaty (Covering 20.5 miles in less than 90 minutes gets me sweaty), that much riding leaves you covered in grime.

As you begin racking up the miles, there may be a few other logistical items that you have not considered:
  • You should know how to fix a flat (& have the proper equipment to do so) at the bare minimum.

It's a personal decision how much stuff you bring with you but I always carry a spare tube. A patch kit will only help if you puncture, not if you blow out.

• Get into the habit of giving your tires a squeeze before every ride and air up as needed.

• Depending upon where you live, your chain can grime up rather quickly. You'll need to figure out what's best for you but again speaking for me I clean & re-lubricate mine every 100 miles.