Old 07-17-11, 08:28 PM
Ron Harry

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm kind flustered about this forum. I run into a few ranonneurs at century rides, and there is a 'type cast' about them, often 'not friendly', and sort of 'clubish' [not everyone of course, and everyone is an individual...but just an observation I've picked up]. That's ok too, since riding such long distances takes a certain 'character makeup'...a ruggedness that might conjure feelings of 'fraternal' brotherhood or something among other randonneurs. I've been reading, and bicycling's roots are in the randonneurs and much of what we know and enjoy today come from eurpean long distance cyclists [especially French and Italian]. So, I admire and respect the 'club'...and not sure I have the stamina to be of their 'cut'. But...I'm interested nonetheless. There is a 'romanticism' that captures my imagination about the freedom of taking off on a bicycle...and no, not like in touring [I've done that]...but where one is part of something at least 'quasi competitive' [not so much against one another, but against one's self for PR's and the like]. A PR on one's own volition is ok...but when others are out there...

Anyway, I'd be interested to know what unterhausen thinks of this link:
http://www.flacyclist.com

If it is 'touring' or 'randonneuring' or something else?

How do you guys support yourself on long rides? You gotta sleep along the way...eat...drink. What are the 'dangers'. Since in USA, it's all 'le libre' [free form, not in groups..forget the term, can't speak french or italian]...it means long hours ALONE. I want to do this. But I usually get snubbed, ha. Oh well...paying dues I suppose.

Bike lights; what are popular. I use nightrider [nickle hydride bat, but only good for about 3 hours]...and make night rides all the time..but feel foolish. People think I'm nuts riding at night. I probably am, ha. Safety. How do randonneurs feel about safety...riding in unknown territories at, say 3am...

stories; love to hear stories.