Old 07-18-11, 07:02 PM
gyozadude

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1, 600, T700, MB-6 w/ Dirt Drops, MB-Zip, Bianchi Limited, Nashbar Hounder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just overhauled an XCM recently. Black plastic swing arm facing the spokes, right? It wasn't quite a full turn. And there were two obstacles in the way when trying to wind the spring with the long arm. First, there is the derailleur hanger bolt that sticks in a little. Then there is a stop bolt sticking out from the front side of the arm (metal screwed into metal arm) and this can't wind past the stop ridge on the RD body. The technique I used was to keep the arm at an angle with spring tab still stuck in the hole and gently wind up the spring. Passing over the hanger bolt was easy since I can also push the RD body inward. But tension increases as you wind, and I was able to just angle the derailleur arm over the stop ridge, and then push flush against the face of the pivot bolt as tension increased. Then I could secure the arm to the body. But it wasn't quite a full turn. The initial of position of the arm was more like 1 or 2 o'clock with the spring unwound. You wind counter-clockwise past obstacles and tension gets pretty high. Good luck!