danielle.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Triode
I dunno.

I'm real new at this.

So, I asked my buddy that rides road bikes, has four or five bikes, and rides 100 miles or so a week.

Among other things, he said " I can't stress to you the importance of buying close to home" you're going to take it in for adjustments.

I bought a Trek FX 7.3

Three rides ( about 75 miles total ) has equaled three trips to the dealer for minor adjustments, which the dealer readily took care of with a smile and while I waited. Actually, they were so good about it, eager to help, that I have been somewhat surprised.

My point is - ridden twice, it's going to need breaking in, adjusting.

Besides, on Craig'slist, everybody prices it high - usually knowing they will come down.

Way to do it, IMO - go over with $150 cash - don't take more with you in case you weaken.

Say, I dunno, I;m not sure - it may need breaking in, adjustments, etc. offer them $ 150 and don't pay more.

Hey, an full tuneup is supposed to run about $70.

You don't want to pay a fair price, you want to pay a price where you know you won't be hurt.

If they don't want to take it, look elsewhere.

JMO. since you asked

Do _not_ offer a check.

Take cash - when you make the offer, take the cash out and hold the money in your hand - leave it out there where then can see it - keep holding it, kind of wave and gesture with it - you would be surprised how often the actual sight of cash will do the deal.

Won't work with a dealer, and won't work all the time - but you would be surprised - if you just keep talking, in general or about the bike, and repeat that's all you've got, while leaving it in full view - hehe, often works
Ugh, this is where I'm pretty torn. Currently, I'm living 150+ miles from my apartment in the city where my "local" bike shop is. They only have one Trek 7.2 in the color and size I want left at the shop. Then, apparently the 2012 models are coming out. (I wouldn't be totally heartbroken if I had to buy a 2012, but I prefer the 2011.) Anyway, I talked to them and I can purchase the last 2011 right now through their website and it'll be ready when I get back into the city next month. Great, if I had the $580+ in my Bike Fund. I can also put down a deposit but I don't know how I feel about mailing money.

I am definitely thinking of just waiting until I have the money to buy a 7.2. (DREAM bike ) If I get the 2011, awesome! If not, I'll certainly be just as excited about the 2012. And as you stated, it's important to buy close to home. And I'll be close to my bike shop when I need anything as it's literally right down the street.

I'm just not sure if the 7.2 is "too much" bike for me. I don't ride 100+ miles a week like many people on this forum do. I'll probably still ride my current bike to class in case my bike gets stolen. I also don't want a new and expensive bike sitting in the rain and snow. Basically, I don't know how many miles I'll be putting on the 7.2. I'm a (crazy) science major and don't have free time during the semester to just go out and ride.

Also, the 820 seems like it'll be better in all the snow we get during the winter. And it's low price is extremely attractive. I'd love to only pay $150 for the bike. I think I may offer the $150 cash and if they don't take it, I'll move on.

Thank you for all the help. I didn't think of how I'd need to pay for a tune up. I don't want to put tons of money into the bike when I could have just used it to buy a 7.2.

Sorry for the novel, just kind of thinking out loud here.