Old 07-19-11, 05:48 AM
NOS88

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I know more about the kind of riding I do and the kind I'll not likely do (i.e., I don't ride off road because I prefer the pace of walking/hiking when off road and I'll not likely race). My equipment is now a better match for the physical changes I've experienced over the years and allows more miles with less discomfort. With both sons through college I've just a bit more disposable income than before. So, my equipment is also more aesthetically pleasing to me.

The specific shifts from the time I re-entered the sport are:

1. Started with a touring bike thinking it would be just fine (touring was a very big part of riding 30 years ago)
2. Got bored with the sluggish response of the touring bike and jumped into a full blown crit bike.
3. Found the crit bike too twitchy for all but the most flat out hammer down rides.
4. Rebuilt vintage steel with a three chain ring front.
5. Moved to carbon with a "comfort" road frame.
6. Went through (broke) three carbon frames in very short order.
7. Went to a compact front
8. Went to my first titanium bike (but it was just a bit too large for me)
9. Had a custom Indy Fab Crown Jewel built and am very happy with it.

As a side note, like many I've gone through more different seats than I care to count, before finding a few that work for me. Explored numerous different tire and wheel combinations. Even played with way too many different seatposts and stems.

Currently I own seven bikes, six of which get regular miles. But the Indy Fab gets more miles than all the others combined, because it was build to fit me and deliver the kind of ride appropriate for the kind of riding I do.

Last edited by NOS88; 07-19-11 at 05:58 AM.