View Single Post
Old 07-19-11, 06:08 AM
MassiveD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Is it the new hub? Or the Freewheel hub. I like both, but a set of wheels for that price with the new hub is a great deal. 48 spokes is serious overkill for most uses, but there isn't any real downside either. The way I look at it is that on 700c you need at least 36 spokes, and that will do loaded touring even for Clyde, in normal conditions. But 36 holes in a touring rim is not going to be out there should you ever need a spare, so you are pretty much looking at the same supply lines as you would be for a 48, and the 48 is pretty much bombproof to start with. On 26, you still aren't likely to find a spare even in 32, and you can get a whole wheel just about anywhere for a quick fix should you require it. So I don't really see a problem with overbuilt wheels.

When I weighed 270, I still got good serviice out of 36 spoke 700c seriously well built wheels. My current 700c hubs are 40 spokes, and have White Hubs, though the Phil is probably better. I do think 40 is enough, and easier to re-supply. 48 starts to run into the risk of getting told they don't actually have it stock to ship out.