Old 07-19-11, 01:59 PM
Monster Pete

Bikes: 2000-something 3 speed commuter, 1990-something Raleigh Scorpion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sturmey Archer 3-speeds are virtually indestructible when properly adjusted and lubricated. Their 5-speed hubs are effectively two 3-speeds with different ratios. The older versions used a second cable and shifter to switch between close and wide range, but the modern ones do this with a single cable. Removing the wheel isn't that difficult- aside from the axle nuts, all that needs doing is disconnecting the gear cable. If you patch the tube rather than replace it, you don't actually need to remove the wheel anyway.

Any difference in efficiency between a well-maintained derailleur system and an equally well-maintained 3-speed is on the order of a few percent, certainly not enough to worry about for general transportation riding. Using a chainguard makes the hub gear system easier to keep clean, and sturdier 'single speed' 1/8" chain can be used.

In terms of noise, I find my derailleur bike to be far noiser than the 3-speed. There is a constant buzz from the derailleur pulleys as you ride along. With the 3-speed hub, everything's nice and quiet.

I like the ability to change gears stationary with an IGH bike, something which makes a lot of sense for stop-start town riding. In addition, the whole setup just looks neater- just a chain connecting the front and rear sprockets. This has a practical benefit as well- there's no extra hardware hanging off the side of the bike waiting to get bashed by debris. This is particularly useful if you ride away from paved roads.