View Single Post
Old 06-25-05, 02:37 AM
peanuts

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by womble
I've flown UK-US-South America with a BOB. The airlines people just treated it as part of my bike. i.e. I was fine checking in a backpack as once piece, and the BOB + bike was treated as another. All I did was flip the swingarm around into the BOB cargo area.

The way I approached airline counters probably resulted in it being easy. I'd turn up with the pack in the BOB, attached to the bike. I would try to check the bike in as one thing, and presented the BOB + pack (secured with bungee cords) as a single piece of luggage. The airlines people would take one look at it and decide that it would be easier for them to separate the BOB and the pack. If they tried to insist that I therefore had three items (which they never did), then I planned on insisting that the pack belonged inside the BOB.

I'd personally try to avoid putting the BOB into a big bag, as big bags just get treated like other baggage and can end up at the bottom of large piles of luggage. For the same reason I try never to box my bike. Also, if you want to get the pack and the BOB into a single bag, it's going to be gigantic as you won't be able to get the swingarm to tuck in.

I hope that made sense. I'm quite tired at the moment!

PS: How much does a BOB cost in Oz?

Thanks for the reply womble, i'll make sure i get to the airport early to make sure it all gets sorted with time to spare.
a bob yak in OZ costs about $450AUD, i got mine 2nd hand(virtually new) for $300AUD