Old 07-20-11, 02:18 PM
Richard Cranium

Bikes: 2003 LeMond -various other junk bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 35 Posts
Ultimate Lighting System - Part 1 - talk about the lights

Looking at the "sticky" posts above it is easy to see the range if interest as well as expense one can develop for bicycle lighting. I would like to discuss what each of you think about bicycle lighting in a some what general way.

For instance - many cyclists buy lights to be "seen" and usually ride in urban areas where they do not depend on there own bike light to navigate the road. Many cyclists use bicycles for fairly short trips and may only require a lighting system that can stay powered for a hour or two.

At the "other end of the spectrum" some cyclists need lights that provide light for trails and surroundings as well as enough power to display pavement many meters down the road. Some of these same cyclists may ride for long periods and will need enough power so as to consider battery supplies and run times when choosing lights.

I know many of of you have a great amount experience in these subjects and I'd like to hear what you have to say about the "kinds" of bike lights you might use.

For this thread - I would submit that there are four major types of bicycle lights.

1. All purpose bicycle mounted head light.
2. Medium to high power bicycle mounted flashlight
3. Head mounted - all purpose flashlight or bicycle light
4. Tail light

After using all these types of products I have come to realize they all their good points and many of them can serve two purposes as well.

Let's each talk about our best bike light - for which type of lighting it is being used - and why you ended up using it that way over other choices. Bonus RC points are awarded for tactless, thoughtful replies filled with sarcasm.