Old 07-21-11, 09:16 AM
Level 2

Bikes: The two wheeled kind

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Helpful Terminology, Abbreviations, Lexicon and Acronyms for Bike Forums

I’ve trolled this site for a long time but just recently started posting and admittedly have some trouble with the terminology that's thrown around. Here’s a start to a Bike Forums to English dictionary. After you’ve explored the forums, come back here and post what you’ve learned!

BF: Bike Forums

dork bands: the bands bike commuters wear around their pant legs to prevent grease stains

dropped: getting left behind by the group or other rider because you’re too slow

Fred: no idea what this means but from context of posts I know it’s not a good thing

LBS: local bike shop

mod: a moderator on this message board; it appears to be a bad idea to tick them off or swear in front of them

MTB: mountain biking; mountain bike

newb: newbie, beginner, negative connotation toward clueless

noob: newbie, beginner, negative connotation toward clueless

+1: when replying to another poster this signifies you like what they said

roadie: a road biker

super mod: better than a regular mod?

TDF: A little bike race over where they make wine and fancy cheese (Tour de France)

This!: another method of drawing attention to a post, I’ve seen it used in admiration and ridicule.

weight weenie: someone who is obsessed with the weight of their bike, their body, or both. “I just paid $500 for this new component to save 10 grams.” That’s a weight weenie.

I don’t know what these mean: FTW, HTFU, sigs