Old 07-21-11, 07:39 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 121 Posts
Some please stop me!

I am considering buying a 70's Raleigh DL-1 Tourist. The bike is good condition except for the following: the Brooks saddle and seat post have been replaced with an entirely inappropriate aluminum post and padded hybrid looking saddle, the tires are original but had no air and have cracking in the sides, the gear shifter has been replaced with a modern type SA shifter. The paint is good and the chrome is good. The hub appears original but I did not see a date on it. I did not ride it though I did straddle it. The bike is slightly too big for me. I ride a large Sports model but the top tube on this one encroaches on my junk, but just barely, but I feel its presence. The top tube is higher than large Sports. The seller is asking $300 which is out of the question. I don't really need another bike but I was kind of intrigued with the slacker looking geometry of seat and fork tubes and 28" wheels. In this part of the country one does not come upon these very often. Given the nice paint and chrome I am considering offering $220, though that may be insulting to him. To make the bike right will take some work and money. I have an old Brooks 66 that I retired because its torn but is still comfortable. I have a seat post and extra gear shift mechanism. I did not try to pump the tires to see if they still hold air but they might and it will probably make the top tube still higher. The pump and saddle bag are gone.

Any comments?