View Single Post
Old 07-24-11, 12:38 PM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
Stoutdog, I really understand where you're at. Let me relate. The last couple years I had severe knee issues that resulted in having my left knee replaced. I have a thread about that so won't bore the rest of the rabble. In addition to my own problems I've been dealing with my wife's health issues as well and that eats up TONS of free time. I lose an entire day off each week for her appointments. She has been hospitalized 4 times in the last 10 months, had pneumonia 4 times in the last 8. 3 of those have been 3 of the hospital visits, including where I'm typing from right now..

So back to my knee. Late March I realized I could jog. So I managed to strain my OTHER knee's MCL... No running. Let it heal. Mid May my left heel started bothering me again, and its much the same issue you have. I saw a podiatrist finally almost two weeks ago, he put me in a walking boot and a night splint, hit me with a steroid treatment and NSAIDs. I'll go back and see him later this week to see whats next. Last year it was treated with a night splint and NSAIDs and responded very favorably. But the same thing didn't work this year. I feel like I can't win brotherman.

I still plug away as I can on the trainer. I try to get a short ride every few days on the street, but now with the boot, I'm not even getting that. And I was getting a couple trips to the gym in a week. Right now, I know I'm not eating the best I could. I'm not losing ANY weight right now, but I'm not gaining either.

Not trying to make light of your position at all. PLEASE don't take it that way. I too feel ANOTHER summer slipping away and having nothing to show for it.

Sad to say, the heel is going to be your limiter. Chances are you will wind up with a night splint to keep the Achilles tight at night. I HOPE you don't need a walking boot as it SUCKS!!! On the other hand, the heel feels better for the most part. But I can also tell this isn't going to be enough for me this year. I am going to change work shoes. I spend 13 hours a day or more in them as it is. They aren't uncomfortable, but have contributed to my heel pain. Maybe physical therapy for stretching the Achilles and Hamstrings will help you (and me). Good luck...