Old 07-24-11, 09:55 PM
david58

Bikes: Fuji Cross Comp, BMC SR02, Surly Krampas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Loving my addiction - Kicked the Hills today!!

Wanted to take a longer ride today (30+) given the time I had, but it turned out to be a bit too warm to try the ride I had mapped (88 degrees, first time I think I've been on the bike on an 80+ day all year, but then we've only had a couple....). So, I decided to stay in town, and try all the hills in this hilly side of town.

Having had my butt handed to me last weekend by the final hills on a 72 miler (my longest ride ever), I was a bit apprehensive. But doggone it, I kicked every hill I tried, and then rode over them in the opposite directions to make sure I got em both ways. Took me an hour and forty to go only 19 miles, but I think I knocked off all the bullys that had my psyched out. Two months ago, I couldn't ride a single one of those hills - no, more like 6 weeks ago.

I am thoroughly re-addicted to riding after a 25 year hiatus. Have lost 20 pounds since mid-May, and am simply loving being on my bike. Already wanting to upgrade to a road bike (I have a cyclocross bike, insane enough to think I am going to try 'cross in October), and my wife is considering doing the same.

Wish I hadn't spent the last 25 years not cycling - but it sure is fun now. Next month, after a few more local hill workouts, going to hit a couple that "Map My Ride" calls Category 3 (1.5 miles at 6%+).

And, a nice thing about losing weight - I figger that I've saved thousands on a lightweight bike every time I lose 5 pounds.