View Single Post
Old 07-28-11, 07:38 AM
old_one1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by giordun
Alright sorry to break all this technical discussion... I just bought a bike for college and I need a bike light! Colleges are notorious for thieves jacking things from bikes so I plan to take the bike light off whenever I'm off the bike... Which is perfect because I also want a flashlight that I can use as an every day carry flashlight.

Recommendations?
I agree that 'needing a headlight' is usually combined with other needs like easy removal from (or locking to) the bicycle.

My college commuting experience led me to desire
  • lights bright enough to help draw attention during daylight
  • mounting to the bicycle (vs wearing on the knapsack which I stuff into a locker at the gym)
  • easy removal/unclipping of lights from their mounts
  • accepting an even number of AA or AAA batteries (making it easy to share rechargeable batteries with other electronics)
  • effective battery life of 1-2 weeks (running up to 1 hour a day round trip)

Quick mount + long batter life --->> newer LED light designed for bicycle use

For a tail light, I use Blackburn Mars 4, a 1W single-LED light powered by 2xAAA.

For a headlight, I use a five-LED model from NiteRider's past. Their current Mako line of lights uses an extra-bright single-LED available up to 2W powered by 2xAA.

Both clip into mounts which require no tools to install/adjust/remove. Without the lights, they must look unappealing in comparison to the lights left on the bicycles locked up beside mine.

Both could be mounted to a helmet or knapsack: The tail light by its belt clip or frame mount; the headlight with its frame mount. Then you could never forget to bring them with you after locking up.

Both can bounce light back to me off stop signs and other reflective objects 2-3 residential blocks away. In full daylight, I find it uncomfortable to look at these lights from ten feet away. (In stop-n-go traffic, I try to remember to angle my bicycle to avoid blinding whomever is behind me.)

College also implies low-cost:
  • $5 DOT reflectors on your bicycle = leveraging the power of motor vehicle headlights
  • $5-10 high visibility clothing/vest (bright color and reflective stripes) = leveraging the power of motor vehicle headlights
  • depending on your local laws: headlight and/or tail light = active lighting. If only a headlight is required by law, perhaps a DIY flashlight helmet mount would let you use a small flashlight you already own as your headlight.

Last edited by old_one1; 07-28-11 at 07:43 AM. Reason: forgot to describe their brightness