Old 07-28-11, 07:11 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Captain Blight
Currently listening to Candy Apple Grey. And, YEP, the Miller generator is indeed 12V! Problem identified if not solved. I suppose I might try it out with a 12V bulb, that might make some sense, huh?

Question: Can I run a higher-wattage bulb than the 3w recommended? Will that burn the dynamo out or will it just give me a dimmer light? I really am no electrician; wiring in a car stereo is about as complex as I can handle.
Fix the stereo in my Honda Accord (dealer has tried 3 times and I will buy you a bunch of bulbs.

It will load up the generator a bit, but the biggest problem is dimmer light. Are you running a tail light? If so you want a .6 watt for that and a 2.4 watt for the front to take full advantage of the output. FWIW this is the main reason I run LED they are usually 1 watt or so for headlights and a bit less for tail lights. So no problem powering them up. I tried to run a 2.4 watt halogen on the SA dynohubs, but it takes a lot of speed to get the light up to par, swapped in the LED light and bingo, bright light at a walking speed.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon