Old 07-28-11, 08:29 PM
TheExodu5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Need advice on an all around bike ($1000-1500)

Hi, I'm looking to get a bit of an all around bike. I live in Ottawa, where we have lots of bike paths, and a fairly bike friendly city. There are also the Gatineau park nearby, with has a lot of hilly paved road.

Now, I'm just not into road bikes. I'd like something with a bit of versatility. If I need to jump a curb and ride over a grass hill, I'd like to be able to do so. I'm not looking to ride mountain trails, but outside of that, I don't want to be too limited.

So, my choices seem to be a Cyclocross bike, or perhaps a Commuter. I was looking at the following bike, from MEC:

MEC Hold Stead ($1250)

I like the style of it, and I am very interested in the internal gear hub, as I have always been annoyed by constantly maladjusted derailleurs. My concerns are the following: will the gears be able to go low enough so that I can easily climb something like a grassy hill? Also, will the tires be sturdy enough to handle grass/dirt/gravel, and the occasional curb hop?

Cyclocross bikes seem like a good option as well, though I don't really feel comfortable with downgrips, and they all seem to have traditional derailleurs (which, hey, might be okay). I don't really know what cyclocross bikes to go for, either.

Any input or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by TheExodu5; 07-28-11 at 08:34 PM.