Old 07-29-11, 02:26 PM
tormodg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chain skips on rear gears when using inner crank chainring

Hello guys,

this is my first post here so please bear with me if this is too long or of it is a well-known problem. I try to fix all mechanical issues on my own, because I do ultra cycling and need to understand how things work when I'm out in the middle of nowhere with only my multitool and a broken bicycle.

I have a problem which has been present for about two months.

When I use the outer chainring, gears work perfectly. But when I use the inner chainring, the rear gears go into auto mode and start skipping up and down. It is most noticeable when I use force, like when climbing, but it happens even while merely coasting and swapping easily between rear gears.

The first thing I did when the auto gearing started was to change the gear wire and tubes. While doing this I found that my rear wheel had actually not sat 100% perfect, but was slightly off by a millimeter or so. After this "fix" the problem went away for a few days but it soon came back.

I have completed two races while having this problem, the last was a 430 km race with lots of really big hills. It was a major PITA with the skipping gears, but luckily it is much less of a problem when I use the smallest three gears, so the issue is not so bad when climbing really steep hills.

I can't for the life of me understand how the gears can work when using the outer chainring, but not the inner?

I have wondered why this has suddenly happened (my bike is a 2006 Fuji Team Pro carbon). I seem to recall that I experienced a loud bang! on my rear derailleur in the middle of June, but that may be pure fantasy.

I replaced my wheels around mid-May, my current wheelset is Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL.

The problem began about a month after putting those wheels on.

Can there be a problem with the rear wheel? I am using two spacers as recommended by Mavic for this wheelset and this cassette.

Could it be the derailleur that is bent or somehow is misshapen? The derailleur is a Dura-Ace which is original with the bike. The cassette is Ultegra, as is the crankset and chain (all of which have been on the bike for two seasons now).

I compared my setup with a friend's, and the angle of the chain when going from the larger back cog to the outer chainring is much more pronounced on my bicycle.

Any ideas are most welcome. I don't mind buying a new RD but I need to understand what's happened.

The drivetrain seen from above.

The drivetrain seen from behind.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
chain.jpg (25.3 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg
chain_2.jpg (23.0 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by tormodg; 07-30-11 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Typo