View Single Post
Old 07-30-11, 01:13 PM
despoke

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
That light is only a 1/2 watt LED, it's now old technology. The Blackburn Mars 4 uses 1 full watt led PLUS two 1/2 watt leds (one on each side) for side illumination which makes the Mars 4 the best light for side visibility. Plus having once owned a Super Blinky, my experience showed it to be fragile, it quit after about 4 months, I sent it back for warranty replacement and it was never returned...that was over a year ago. I called and e-mailed various people and nothing, after a relatively short while I gave up since $20's wasn't worth the time I was spending trying to get it back!
I am sure the Blackburn product is good if you say so and is probably the best light for side visibility if that is your feeling about it.
However I doubt I will ever purchase the Blackburn light as, unlike your experience with the Super Blinky, my 2 Super Blinkys have been nothing short of superb in the area of reliability and that would include excellent weatherproofing qualities as they have endured the monsoons of Seattle where I cycle with no problemo since purchasing them over 5 years ago. They are the ultimate in low maintenance with long intervals of dependable, highly visible performance between battery charges. As far as fragile goes....of course they wouldn't survive being run over by a 16 wheeler. ( my helmet mounted Photon Freedom Fusion headlight might)
I am also wondering about price here.
Certainly, if the Blackburn is lower priced than a Super Blinky and is superior as you say perhaps I should be looking into it.