Old 07-31-11, 04:19 PM
armyguy

Bikes: Trek FX 7.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Should I try upgrades for my hybrid or just buy a road bike??

I own a 2011 flatbar Trek FX 7.2 since April when I started cycling. I am riding 3-4 times a week with an average of 13-16 miles each ride with a 13-14 MPH average. I want to start increasing my distance, I want to ride a century in the very near future..., but what if a road bike is not the way to go for me??? I have asked friends that have been cycling for quite some time and they all agree that they will not recommend a hybrid for long distances and the striding leverage that a road bike offers vs the hybrids are not the same, etc; with the road bikes having the upper hand according to them and some other posts and articles I have seen over the net. I have tried road bikes but not to more than a road test which will not give me the distance needed to really try the long distance riding stance, striding and all the data that I need to make an informed decision. I've made my mind, I will either upgrade to a road bike or make improvements on my hybrid to better myself, that I know, but I am hoping I can get some answers to my following questions from folks that have gone thru the same (as I am sure there are a lot on this forum... .

1. Is it worth trying dropbars to see if I can handle the road bike riding posture??

2. If so, what you riders out there recommend??

3. What other upgrades are recommended?? (ie shifters, components) to increase my mileage or even the alleged differencesvs a road bike??

4. I do like the way my bike rides so if I upgrade I am thinking Trek, but I would love to read reviews and suggestions from ctual owners of other brands in the entry level range.

Thanks for the help...