View Single Post
Old 07-31-11, 09:03 PM
EastCoaster2011

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
NYC...few questions for a noob.

Hello, yes I am a noob. I did do a search and had a couple questions answered however I was hoping to get a few answered here.

I will be visiting the city in mid August. I enjoy riding my mountain bike around where I live now (Va) and thought it might be a great experience to ride around some parts of Manhattan.

Question 1, I will be staying on Staten Island and commuting to Manhattan. I did read up on that the ferry does allow you to bring a bicycle onto the lower level.

Can anybody explain exactly what happens? What I mean by this is what can I expect so there are no surprises. I will simply wait in line to go onto the lower level? Is it still free with a bike? Is it pretty common to see other cyclists taking the ferry?

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcp/pdf/bike..._terminals.pdf

I found this while searching and appears to be a map pointing in the right direction as to where to go on both sides.

Question 2, I was looking at bike routes and I think the best one for me considering I would prefer to stay away from a lot of traffic i.e. bike lanes. Would be the bike path along the Hudson river. It looks like it's designated just for bikes. Any tips/suggestions on taking that route?

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcp/pdf/bike...n_brooklyn.pdf (Bike routes)

If I take that route I could take it up towards Central Park and cross over a few blocks to tour the park via bike.

Last question,

I know it's illegal to ride a bike on the side walks. Would it be a problem if I have the bike on the side walks but only while I am walking it? Being a tourist I might see some side streets that I'd like to check out and to avoid traffic I'd rather just walk my bike. I ask this because I have no idea what the cops would try and make a big deal out of or not. Sorry for the ignorance

Thanks in advance.