I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by tfahrner
This is the second time you have suggested that our car-free ways are fleeting, irresponsible, anomalous, or otherwise less than a viable model for other grown-ups. Would seeing our lives change and accepting car dependency assuage your own regrets or console you in some misfortune? Is it envy? Sour grapes? It's presumptuous in any case.
No wouldn't bother me at all to read of such success stories; I would like to read the comments of ANY car free bicyclists who have voluntarily imposed their lifestyle decision on schoolage children or dependent adults; even more interesting might be the comments from those dependents. Just so happens I cannot recall any such success stories posted in BF or anywhere else. I am pointing out that there may be a good reason.

Fleeting? irresponsible, etc? I neither said nor suggested any such thing. Only that people with children and more specifically school age children or other dependents, may have transportation requirements far more difficult to satisfy by exclusive use of bicycles and occasional use of (if available) public transportation.

The presumptuousness tag is on those who bask in their sense of virtue about their unique lifestyle choices permitted by their own individual circumstances, and extrapolate their opinion on the subjectinto a moral imperative for all other bicylists to follow (or apologize for if not seeking), no matter what the circumstances.

Car free cyclists would be doing themselves soom good to share their useful tips with each other and leave out the claims of moral superiority over other cyclists who don't share their lifestyle priorities.