View Single Post
Old 08-02-11, 01:33 PM
steve53mg

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti, Santa Cruz Heckler, Santana Visa TAndem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only time that I have a problem with being drafted, is when it is a recumbant. Very difficult to see in my helmet mirror. If the guys are drafting because they are tired and the pace is a bit much for them, I don't care, but if they are obnoxious about it...that is only draft on the flats and desert us on the climbs, or when close to the finish and they know the way or don't care anymore, then I move over and remind them that it is their turn the next time they pull up to us. Unless we are doing a formal paceline, I don't worry about riding like a machine. If someone takes it upon himself to latch on to my wheel, it is his responsibility to avoid me. I have never seen the front guy go down!
Way back in the day, I was doing a one way century on my single with my club and there was a blustery headwind all the way. My buddies on the tandem were in the lead and Mr Macho, the captain, insisted that he would pull everyone home. The town of Montauk, NY was at about 90 miles and the last 10 consisted of an out and back to Montauk Point...a boring and desolate road! Being seasoned old riders, the mileage wasn't all that important to most of us, but myself and one other guy thought that we would like to continue. Mr Captain said, I don't think I'll join you because Mrs. Stoker is TIRED! She did not appreciate being his excuse and didn't talk to him for the rest of the day!