Old 08-05-11, 11:13 AM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by kleinboogie
Riding my TT bike definitely works my muscles differently. I don't know all the specifics, or any for that matter, but I do know that after I take a break from TTing the first ride or two hurt like hell and I'm slow as a slow person. It comes back but when I switch back to my road bike I find that my road power suffered as well usually by about 15-20 watts. I have enormous respect for cyclists that excel at both. My guess is that my muscle memory got amnesia and I have to hook-up the synapses again. More riding required. GL
It's good to incorporate at least 1-2 days a week on the TT bike into your training to keep from having the "shock" that comes with a new position. Recovery rides are good, as are longer (20min) interval session days. It's also not bad to do an occasional long ride on the TT rig, I'll occasionally go 2-3 hours.

To the OP's question, there's no direct benefit for your road racing to train on a TT bike, but there's great benefit to doing TT's and TT efforts. Aside from the training benefit you learn how to manage pacing over various distances, if you're paying attention you'll find things in position and effort dosing that will come in handy down the road.