View Single Post
Old 08-07-11, 06:17 AM
valygrl

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Canned food is too heavy and bulky. Buy food along the way.

You'll probably need a sleeping bag for your long trip, if not your short one. You'll probably want a sleeping mat of some kind, to keep the cold of the ground away and provide a little padding. A foam mat is better than nothing, most people use a thermarest or other blow-up camping mat. Consider if you'll need protection from mosquitos as well as rain - that's always kept me from using a tarp shelter instead of a full tent.

Rack packs/trunk racks aren't very practical in my opinion - better to leave the back of the rack open to strap on your tent and sleeping bag, or use a dry-bag stuff sack (or trash compactor bag) to as stuff sack for whatever you want to load there.

Try craigslist and secondhand stores for used camping gear, and ask all your friends if they or their parents have anything you can borrow. Your "mess kit" doesn't have to be camping specific, other than the stove - you can get a pot and a cup and a fork at goodwill/salvation army. If your budget was a little higher, I would suggest www.rei-outlet.com and www.departmentofgoods.com as good cheap sources of camping gear.

Most people bring at least one change of bike clothes and a set of off-bike clothes, rain gear, a few bike repair tools and spare parts, sometimes cooking gear, a towel & toiletries... it really starts to bulk up fast, so don't pass judgment on those big panniers until you get all your stuff in a pile and see how big it is.

$60 is not enough budget for the trip, let alone outfitting the trip. You need a little reserve money (credit card) just in case something goes wrong.

Is it legal to sleep on the beach? Find out beforehand, because you're going to be pretty miserable if you get rousted by the police every night.