Old 08-08-11, 01:56 AM
vandalarchitect
Vandalized since 2002

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Minion1
I saw those as well, and though he's right, that bent arms and a stronger core help immensely, I couldn't help but think two things,
1) he's an engineer and the concept of fixed angles that your body is optomised to perform at is appealing to an engineer, for some reason I can't get right behind it from a biological point of view. Things change over time, and even though he's going to have a ton of data from his team's powertaps, and has way more experience and evidence than I do, bike fit needs to change for the majority of people as their situation changes.
2) He is talking about pro riders who have spent years optimising their position. Punters like you and me are working on improving their position, and if there are fixed optimal angles then we may as well all just stop trying to improve and buy an S5. The timing of these posts is curious, in relation to the bike his company has just released.
Agreed. I see it with people like you and me as a something that can be continually improved upon as we get more fit, more flexible, stronger, etc. Maybe right now, where my bars are at is good enough. After getting used to it, I could lower them further, and then further still, and then get a stem with a steeper angle, etc. all the while improving my speed and aerodynamics. I do think that there comes a point of diminished returns however. But at that point I'll probably be winning the TdF anyway so what would be the point, right?