Old 06-28-05, 09:20 AM
Platy

Bikes: Schwinn folder; SixThreeZero EvryJourney

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great Urban Neighborhoods

I think it would be worthwhile to try to get a better understanding of the factors that make a neighborhood good for carfree living in general and biking in particular.

My personal impression, based mostly on living in and frequently visiting a handful of cities in Texas, is that good neighborhoods for carfree living tend to be the older ones near downtown areas. There are enough stores and services within a reasonable distance. Streets are often laid out in a grid and there are multiple ways to get in and out of the neighborhood. Public transit facilities may exist.

I think there's a resurgence of interest in these old neighborhoods. Two of my relatives are as car-culture as it is possible to be and they do or have done small scale residental construction and remodeling. Both of them separately told me they are excited about restoring downtown buildings in old urban areas for residental use (Mineola TX and Tulsa OK). And both of them said they would like to live there, not just flip the property or rent it out! Why? Because they could walk everywhere, they said. Another relative who is now retired from the construction business also talked warmly about downtown redevelopment in Dallas TX. Something important is going on, very quietly, in the background.