Old 08-09-11, 07:56 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Shipping Team Bike Case via FedEx / how picky is FedEx?

Has anyone ever shipped a Team Bike Case via FedEx?

I don't know where Performance or Nashbar is getting their widths but the very widest I measure is a 44 inch width. It is actually more like 43.5 inches.

If I take the wheels off, I am getting a height of 32 inches. The depth I measure is 11 inches.

At those dimensions, it is a little more expensive to ship than a standard carton but I would rather pay a bit more and ship in my case.

What I don't want to do is pay nearly double and that would happen at 45 inches.

My plan is to print the shipping bill online, use my 43x32x11 dimensions then take it to a place like Staples.

1. Has anyone ever shipped a Team bike case? It so, where did you ship it to and from and what did it cost?

2. Has anyone ever shipped a box where is was close to being over their limit? If so were you able to get it through without paying a whopper of a shipping bill?

It really is ridiculous how much the price jumps just for being an inch or two over the limit.

BTW I did take my case to FedEx for an estimate and it was the almost double price of normal shipping. But the wheels were on. The agent did not seem to be very cooperative in figuring a way to get it shipped at the cheaper price. He thought it would still cost about the same even with the wheels off.

Last edited by spinnaker; 08-09-11 at 08:04 PM.