Old 08-11-11, 11:17 AM
gazzer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fuixx
Hi all,

I went through a long stretch of time where I was riding SPD M520 pedals and clips and had pes anserine bursitis (medial knee tendons strained) and tried to adjust these cleats a dozen times by 6 different LBS. Eventually, I switched over to Speedplay Frogs and gradually the pain went away and have been pain free since.

I'm posting here because all of the spin bikes at my local Y naturally have SPD style clips. They recently got new bikes in house (Keiser M3), and, understandably, they won't allow me to switch out the pedals for classes anymore.

As a result, I decided to try the SPD cleats again, and the pain is coming back again.

Is there anyone out there who knows a way to get more float or at least less "centering" out of the SPD cleat so it doesn't continuously torque my knee or have any ideas on how to possibly adjust the cleat to reduce the strain on the medial knee? I'd like to continue with the spinning classes during the winter because I simply don't wish to ride outside in the winter and enjoy the classes and the people there.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Regards,
Steve
Hi Steve,
Did you ever get this solved. Having exact same problem at Y spin class with SPD pedals and SPD cleats and have the same bursitis. It has to be something with the angle of cleat and not the float. Seems like the float on the Y bikes is too much and even though I know how to do this adjustment but can never seem to affect the float on those pedals no matter which way I turn the screw--I don't ride SPDs outside but use the 3-hole cleat. I figure that they get so much use too that it is probably just worn. Anyway you problem and situation is exactly to mine so any info would be greatly appreciated.

Gazzer