wsexson
LHT Commuter

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker & Motobecane Le Champion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nick burns
Are there really that many people riding regularly on the sidewalk instead of the road? I've been riding an awfully long time & the only people I see on the sidewalk are kids.
I think most adults realize that sidewalks were made for pedestians not bicyclists.
I guess it depends on where you are. I cannot think of any part of the greater Los Angeles area where I have not seen teens and adults riding bicycles on sidewalks on a daily basis (usually on Wal-Mart type MTB or BMX bikes, sometimes on old road bikes with strange handlebar and seat configurations).

I only ride on sidewalks over bridges/overpasses where the lanes are narrow and I will be going under 10 mph riding up it.

Sidewalks on the wrong side of the road to travel in the same direction as traffic, sidewalks that do not go through, driveways, uneven sidewalks, trash and debris, there are many reasons why I would not feel safe riding on a sidewalk. IMO you should not ride on a sidewalk if you are going faster than a pedestrian, and I do not feel stable on the bike at such a low speed. Plus there is not enough room to pass a pedestrian on most sidewalks around here.

Riding on the road works for me. I cannot speak for anyone else